• Lee University’s Office of Veteran Affairs helps eligible students navigate the process of obtaining veterans benefits. Lee is approved for the certification of students eligible for educational assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs and is enrolled in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

    Applying for Benefits

    New students who have not used any VA educational assistance programs should apply for benefits.

    Those who have not used any of their Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty Educational Assistance (Chapter 30) benefits will need an original or certified copy of their Member 4 of their DD Form 214 to send to the VA.

    Reservists who have not used any of their Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve Educational Assistance (Chapter 1606) benefits will need the original DD Form 2384, or Notice of Basic Eligibility from their Reserve Unit.

    New Chapter 30, 33, 1606, 1607 recipients will need to complete a VA Form 22-1990.

    Dependents who have not received Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35) benefits will need to apply using VA Form 22-5490 or provide a Certificate of Eligibility.

    Transfer students who have received VA educational assistance benefits at other institutions of higher education should apply in person at the Office of Veteran Affairs.

    Transfer students who only need to complete a Change in Place of Training form either need to fill out the military members transferring VA Form 22-1995 or the dependents transferring VA Form 5495.

    Students returning to the University can be certified for benefits as soon as they have pre-registered for the semester.

    Dropping or Withdrawing from Classes

    The law prohibits payment of VA benefits for a course the student drops or withdraws for a course the student completes, but receives a grade, which will not be used in computing requirements for graduation. Lee is required to report any change that affects the receipt of VA educational benefits. Students are required to report changes to the Office in order to avoid an overpayment.

    Reporting Enrollment Changes

    If a course is dropped/added or withdrawn, inform the Veteran Affairs Office immediately so a VA Form 22-1999b can be submitted.

    Chapter 30 Monthly Verification
    Veterans receiving benefits under Chapter 30 or 1606 must verify enrollment each month to the VA in order to receive payment for that month by either:
    • Calling the telephone system using Interactive Voice Response (IVR), by dialing 1-877-823-2378.
    • Using an Internet program called WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment).

    When the system says the veteran is certified for the month, payment can be expected within 10-14 days, or 3-5 days when using direct deposit. The Veteran Affairs Office must still be notified when enrollment changes are made, even though the change has been reported to the VA on WAVE.
    Work-Study Program

    This program offers employment to those attending school at least three-quarter time and receiving educational benefits. Applications can be filled out at the Office of Veteran Affairs on campus or any VA facility (VA Hospital or VA Regional Office). Payment is hourly at minimum wage. If requested, a student accepted for work can receive an advance check for the first 50 hours. After the 50 hours, checks are written for each 50 hours worked.

    Veterans under Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 1606 and 1607 can apply. Children and spouses under Chapter 35 can also apply.

    Veterans Deposit

    Contact Information

    Lee University Admissions Office
    890 North Ocoee Street
    PO Box 3450
    Cleveland, TN 37320

    Phone: (423) 614-8514

    Fax: (423) 614-8533

    Email: veterans@leeuniversity.edu
    Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST
    Phil Cook,
    School Certifying Official
    Jaila Stone,
    Veterans Affairs Representative